[FC] Turn signal cable not moving

Wild8bill at aol.com Wild8bill at aol.com
Sun Aug 16 13:20:07 EDT 2009

I believe that I replaced my clutch head screws with philips head. After
you get all that a part, look for the wire to be broken somewhere in the
steering column head, usually where it bends, I had that happen. There are also
 some pot-metal and plastic parts that are vulnerable to age. You can
either  order new wire from a Corvair vendor or buy "instrument wire" in a
25'+/- spool from your local hardware store for half the price. Use your
micrometer to get the appropriate thickness. My package of that wire is packed
away somewhere, or I would tell you what diameter to get, but .018 comes to
mind.

On our rampside work truck, I had the parts break and the switch start to
fail, so I just spun the signal arm hole to the top and installed a
3-position  toggle switch and hard wired the signals to it, I also added a "hazard"
switch  under the dash that supplies power to both signals at once while I
was at it. It  may sound funky, but I copied the design of our old Nash
Metropolitan, which had  the turn signal switch on the top of the column (much
more elaborate and  decorative switch). No, it doesn't turn off automatically
when you complete your  turn.

-Bill
richmond CA