[FC] Spacer & Mats

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 26 14:47:32 EDT 2009

>I have the special spacer that goes on the left side of the transmission cross member but I think it might be too thick. The engine now looks crooked and offset slightly
>to the right in the engine compartment.  Can anyone tell me how thick that spacer should be?

It is probably correct, unless this is the same transmission and you
previously had tire wear issues.  These are alignment shims for setting
toe-in, and yes, the Corvair drivetrain sits crooked in the cars, by design.

Carpet is preferred over the rubber mats for the reason stated --
condensation under the mat and the lack of permeability to let it
evaporate -- if you have checked with "the vendors" and none appears
available, probably it isn't.

Bill Strickland