[FC] Intermittant Electric Fuel Pump

Kevin Clark kevin@kcvairbrush.com kevin at kcvairbrush.com
Wed Jun 17 20:44:37 EDT 2009

My Corvan has an electric fuel pump. For several weeks now I would
stall after starting the truck. I found that the pump sometime does
not run after I turn the ignition to on. Lately I have to turn the
key on, off, on, back and fourth until I hear the fuel pump hum under
the floor board. When it hums it fires right up and will be fine as
long I keep the ignition on.
I checked the wiring connection and everything seems to be nice and
tight. It is hooked up to the radio fuse and the radio worked when
the pump didn't. I can't seem to find the problem.
Is it possible a dirty fuel filter can cause this symptoms? If the
radio works and always crank when turning the key, I doubt the
ignition switch is going bad. Is there a way to know if the electric
fuel pump is ready to quit for sure?
It has about 6000 miles on the fuel pump and I didn't think it's time
to replace the filter.
Kevin

Kevin G. Clark
kevin at kcvairbrush.com