[FC] 4 carb motors (*my* take)

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 3 20:29:58 EST 2009

We ran a 140 in a Corvan for several years before the motor found a new
home in a Corsa -- a fast round trip to Dallas (TX, from Portland, OR)
in summer with no problems, however, the air cleaner issue, among
others, was solved by using block-off plates instead of secondary
carbs.  No problem with torque with this set-up on an oem-ish 140 and 4
speed.  It pulled hard and ran fast (everything is relative).  On
*steep* mountain grades (like Washington's Olympic Mountains summit
viewpoint), if it started to ping, I'd just pull the vacuum advance and
all was well (timing was advanced well over stock settings). Never
overheated, hauled goats everywhere, never dropped valve seats (while in
the van).  A hundred K or so later, in the Corsa, the crank in this
engine broke.  Darn!

And that was the second Corvair that had fatal engine failures going
down I-5 in Southern Oregon, while my wife was traveling alone -- she
also broke a 454 in a 3/4 ton p/u about the same location on a similar
trip.  Dunno -- just bad luck, a jinx of three, whatever, no real valid
explanation ...

Anyway, the two carb 140 worked fine for us,

Bill Strickland