[FC] windshield gasket fitting

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Sun May 3 12:27:04 EDT 2009

The body shops will tell you to save the old gasket if at all possible to reuse. I've done this once because the windshield and its 45 year old gasket were from Montana where the air doesn't dry out or deteriorate the rubber.
On two other occasions I installed with a larger gasket by cutting it on the middle top. You install bottom first and it should pop right in. In the end I trimmed about 3/4 inch at the top and used a small bead of  butyl rubber. I've removed and reinstalled all the van windows and have had shrinkage,cutting, and filler issues. The new rubber shrinks quickly when exposed to sunlight