[FC] Windshield woes

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Thu May 21 11:49:02 EDT 2009

The reproduction glass that is made in Peru by AGP (Auto Glass Peru), is
sold by Pilkington Classic, a division of Pilkington Glass.  This glass is
made on the original LOF dies.  Pilkington is the successor to the former
LOF.  I have used the APG glass in both my 1964 Spyder, and my 1964 FC,
without any problems, using the original factory gaskets.  I believe that
most of the problems arise with the use of reproduction gaskets.
Personally, I haven't found a reproduction gasket that has worked well in
any Corvair application.  The rear glass in my 1964 Spyder leaked with the
factory gasket, and the reproduction isn't any better.  That glass had a
fitment problem from day one right from the factory.  Today, the only
solution to this problem is to use the reproduction gasket, and then pump
urethane between the body and the gasket, and the rear glass and the gasket,
and hope for the best.  If you ever need to remove the glass, then it will
need to be cut out of the body opening by destroying the gasket.  GM
recognized this problem early on, and filled the voids by pumping a white
caulking material between the gasket and the body in an attempt to resolve
the issue.  This works until the caulking material dries out and cracks.
Paul in CT