[FC] Future FC Owner Questions (Lifting a Ramp)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sun May 24 14:13:48 EDT 2009

Henri,

Your ability to raise and lower a ramp is probably dependent  on your
ability to grab something at ground level.  You can lift a ramp  with one arm.
If you can kneel with one hand supporting yourself with a  crutch and grab
the ramp with the other hand, you shouldn't have a problem if  you can keep
yourself balanced on the way up.

Another possibility is to attach a long hinged handle ("D"  handle from a
shovel) or even a rope to the ramp so that you can reach down and  lift
something light until you are upright and then pull up the heavy load from  a
more comfortable position.  It won't be stock but that may not matter to  you.
You also may not want to have a rope flopping in the wind as you  drive but
you can tie it off to a peg or "eye" hook mounted in the  bed.  If you
mount it on the forward side of the ramp closest to the cab,  it may not flop
around and will be less likely to be noticed by casual  observers.

Next, it may be a moot point.  How often are you going to  be loading and
unloading stuff using the ramp without the help of others.   Will you be
using it to load a wheelchair?  Have you considered buying a  Loadside instead
of a Rampside?

Lastly, you may want to call a couple of members of your club  and ask
someone to bring a Rampside to the next meeting.  Better  yet, take a drive to
the home of someone with a Rampside.  Nothing  beats an actual "hands on"
experience.

Good luck.

Doc
In a message dated 5/24/2009 9:00:13 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,