[FC] Bay Area CA auction results

Wild8bill at aol.com Wild8bill at aol.com
Sun Nov 22 21:37:42 EST 2009

We went to an estate auction in Santa Rosa on Saturday, there were a pair
of Greenbriers and a Loadside, and box upon box of parts, many NOS or
packaged  new from Clarks and Corvair Underground. A couple of you on this list
may have  attended, for those who did not, get out your crying towel.

One of the Greenbriers, a little beat up but very sound and drivable (I
watched the new owner start it right up and drive it) went for $200. The other
 Greenbrier, in better body condition with decent aftermarket paint,
110hp/4speed, went for $1000; we bought that one. The Loadside, in fair body
condition and unknown mechanical, went for...$100. There was also a late model
Monza coupe and convertible, the CV had 500 miles on a rebuilt 110, both
were in  so-so cosmetic shape, the CV needed a new top, it went for $1100, the
coupe  didn't sell because no one wanted it for the opening bid of $100 I
heard; I also  saw them start it up easily and move it out of the way.

As for the boxes of parts, most were about 2'x1.5'x1' high, there were a
few pallet sized boxes as well. Whoever packed them TRIED to sort the parts
out  by type, but the late model car and FC parts were intermixed. I bought
two boxes  full for $10 each, and just finished digging through them and
cataloging the  parts this afternoon. One guy bought several boxes including at
least one of the  pallet sized boxes, and the Loadside. Unfortunately, I
don't think he is a  "Corvair guy", and was just speculating on selling the
parts for a profit. He  spent about $150 on the parts, and said loudly at the
end that he'd sell the  whole bunch for $500. Some of the stuff he had
included a NOS tissue dispenser,  several NOS sets of bumper guards for FC and
late model cars, several new fuel  pumps, shocks, an armful of decent aluminum
and stainless trim, several sets of  good if not NOS FC headlight trim, etc.
I hope he doesn't just take all the  aluminum to the scrapyard...

There were about 8 engines, two were 4-carb; most sold for $10 each except
one of the 4-carb which went for $50 I think. There were box upon box of
axles,  cams, heads, brake drums, steering parts, suspension parts, at least 5
 differentials, 3-4 PG's, a few windshields and other glass, I forget the
rest.  It looked like the guy had been collecting and hoarding parts for a
few decades  with the intention of completely restoring his 3 trucks and 2
cars (that we know  of, there may have been others that were sold before the
auction or the family  kept). Some of the NOS parts I found in my boxes were
for the convertible,  obviously never installed. Of note for my $20, I got 4
major carb rebuild kits,  2 new fuel pumps, 3 new distributor caps, 2 carb
shaft rebuild kits, 2 new wheel  cylinders, several dif/tranny gasket sets, 3
new spin-on oil filter adapters, 3  new fan belts, 7-8 new oil cooler
covers, and the rest was used stuff, like a  pair of FC visors, L/R car armrests
with ashtrays, a Spyder oil temp gauge (  that I'll use in my Spyder dash on
the Greenbrier I bought...), and some NOS car  parts like lenses, side
mirror and pillar caps for the convertible.

I know I'm not describing everything that was there, I would guess that
there was at least 4-5 heaping pickup loads of Corvair parts.

-We are planning on swapping the 110hp motors in the '63  Greenbrier and
Rampside (one piston has bad rings, I think), both have 4-speeds,  and also
compiling the good interior parts from both 'Briers into the '61, and  selling
the '63 as a driver.

Bill
Richmond CA
61 Rampside