[FC] 1962 Corvan side doors & Hoses

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 14 21:53:36 EDT 2009

I am not commenting on the doors, since that has already been well covered,
however, I feel it necessary to comment of the brake hose diameter.  The
simple rule of hydraulics is that you double the diameter of a hose, and you
will quadruple the amount of fluid that can move through the tube at any
given time.  Therefore, if you use a hose that has half the diameter of the
original, you are going to drastically effect the stopping performance of
the vehicle.  If you remember anything about the early Corvairs, you will
remember that GM used different bores for both the master cylinder and the
wheel cylinders when the car came factory equipped with metallic brakes
starting in 1962.  That slight difference was to compensate for the
additional brake pedal pressure that was needed to stop when using the
metallic linings.  The same goes for your FC.  If you alter the original
base components it can have a drastic negative effect on your ability to
stop the vehicle in a panic stop situation.  Do it right the first time, and
you will sleep better knowing that the next time you need to make a panic
stop, your vehicle will be up to its maximum performance specification as
originally built.  The choice is yours to make, but remember that you will
live with the consequences of your decision if you alter the vehicle and
something disastrous should happen.
Paul in CT