[FC] Help choosing tires -

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 24 21:54:15 EDT 2009

The poor list of choices and the narrow stock rims were two of the
things that pushed me toward the 15" solution I ended up with.  The
other factors were low cost (mine are steel wheels out of the boneyard)
and desire for less sidewall flex.  The rims I'm using were from early
'80s mid-sized GM station wagons.  I think some of the larger FWD cars
of the 80s and early 90s might use similar 15x6 rims with small chevy
pattern..  If you're shopping aftermarket, a rim designed for an FWD
sedan might be just the thing - the offsets tend to be about what you
need for an FC Corvair.  For the record: the rolling radius of a
205-70-15 is within a couple of inches of the original 6.00-14 tires.
My odometer is accurate within 3 percent without any adjustments.

205-70-15s are available in a lot of varieties for use on sedans and
light trucks.  Initially I ran all-season tires, until I decided that I
would essentially never need high traction, but did want a little less
tread noise, then I went with sedan tires.

They definitely handle better than tires on stock rims because of
reduced sidewall flex.  One detail point worth considering: since you
have swing axles, you need to avoid tires with a square tread
cross-section when shopping.  The tire will go from plenty of adhesion
when the axle is level to very little when the suspension deflects
either direction.  A rounder tread cross-section is always better.
This, along with ride quality, is what keeps me from trying lower
profile tires on 16" rims - generally, the lower the tire profile, the
squarer the tread cros-section.

-Rad Davis