[FC] Rear transaxle alignment

Andy . rumbleseat66 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 11 11:14:42 EDT 2010

Disclaimer: I have never done this before on an early Corvair - luckily my projects have always retained proper shimming.  But in theory, in my mind, it would seem that I would want to align the rear wheels relative to the body, not to the front wheels which may or may not be aligned correctly or dead even side to side.

As I do this in my mind sitting here, I would pull strings and try to shoot for equal spots side to side near the front of the rocker panels.  Or whatever easy reference point on the body.  Essentially getting each rear wheel the same angle relative to the body - so (theoretically) your strings would eventually cross in front of the van somewhere many feet ahead, but on the vans centerline..  Checking total rear toe as you go (experiment).  Then once the rear is good, the front is aligned relative to the rear.

At least that seems logical to me... YMMV.

I am sure everyone has seen a car going down the road where all four wheels are going straight, but the body is at an angle (after a wreck and bad repair.... DIY alignment... LOL)

Good luck!