[FC] toe in transaxle

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Apr 13 10:41:12 EDT 2010

Hi Ron,

I'm still confused about what you are measuring.  Let me try to explain:

Toe - viewed from above, this is the difference from both tires being pointed exactly straight ahead.  Almost always the tires will be slightly closer together at the front than the back (toe in).  This is what you are adjusting with the shims.

Camber - From behind, this is whether the tires are straight up and down, angled in at the top, or angled in at the bottom.  The factory setting is slightly closer at the bottom than the top (positive camber).

We'll leave caster out for now.

You can find some instructions on the net on how to do this, but here are a couple of important notes:

 - The tires must be level to one another within 1/32" - use floor tires to level the surface
 - Most steel wheels have a slight amount of wobble.  You must find two points on the wheel across from each other where you can measure accurately (again, to at least 1/32" accuracy).

As Bill posted previously, a good at home way to measure toe is to run a pair of lines over jackstands.  The lines do *not* touch the vehicle at all, they are parallel to each other and equidistant from the hubs.  Simply measure from the line to the rear of the wheel and the front, then subtract to get the difference.  Add the two sides together for total toe.  With radial tires I'd shoot for 1/8" to 3/16" total toe, both front and rear.

--Bryan