[FC] Rear transaxle alignment

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 14 20:16:17 EDT 2010

Back in the early 1960's Chevrolet send the dealers a notice on how to bend
the front cross member if the car couldn't  be brought into alignment
specifications using shims.  I doubt that today you could even find a frame
shop that would even want to do this even if it was the only way to get a
correct alignment.  There was one in Springfield MA that did this work back
in the day for the dealerships, and they were very good at correcting
factory errors, however, they went out of business this past fall, and along
with the loss of this shop, all the expertise is not gone.  I had them work
on many of my old collector cars, and they always knew how to do the job
correctly.  The single reason that they told me for them closing was that
people today don't want to pay for quality alignment work, and feel that the
$39.99 specials are all that they need.
Paul in CT