[FC] Burnt oil from heater

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat Apr 24 23:13:27 EDT 2010

At 13:15 4/24/2010 -0400, Tim wrote:
>   My 63 Corvan has a small oil leak. It wasnt a huge problem until I
> installed all new heater ducting from Clark's. Now within 5 minutes the
> cab is full of a burnt oil smelling fog thats pretty obnoxious. Hard to
> locate the leak. What woud be the most common probem for this symptom?

Hello Tim,

The three most common sources for oil that leaks onto the exhaust manifold
or into the lower shroud are:

1) Pushrod tube O-rings
2) Top cover gasket
3) Oil cooler

You can find out which source(s) is the culprit by removing the lower
shrouds.  You will want to thoroughly clean off the leaked oil.  It may be
necessary to do this first if there has been a long term
leak(s).  Hopefully you have an easy fix and not too much mess.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI