[FC] Coil install

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 11 14:24:16 EDT 2010

>Keep the troubleshooting as simple as you can.  You need spark and fuel ...

... and the Suck, Squeeze, Bang, and Phooey of a mechanically operating
4 cycle engine --  ie, the pistons and valves have to be going up and
down and the cam going round and round  [cam gear failures will also
result in a sudden shutdown and no spark].  It should "sound right" when
you are cranking it over, a very easy check.

> - the engine just quit, as I recall, so you are correct to be following spark.

I have always felt this was a dangerous assumption -- ALWAYS check BOTH
fuel (accelerator pump shot) and spark (BOTH into and out of
distributor, ie coil wire first, and if it's good, then a plug wire or
two, which you can do at the cap).

Good Luck with it all!

If there is no spark, and you still have points, I'd look at them first
before checking the power to coil circuit, but that is just from a guy
that grew up fixing points ignition.

Bill Strickland