[FC] My Best engine combo

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Fri Dec 31 23:12:35 EST 2010

 OK, I have built an engine with a 95 hp cam which is the -889 cam, although, I used 110 heads. The engine with a powerglide would pull a stump but it ran out of steam going down the road pulling our trailer. The fastest it would do most times was 70-75 with a tail wind but I got 17 miles to the gallon pulling the trailer. To me the speed was the downfall of the combination with an -889 cam. If I were to do it over I would use either the -304 cam or the -891 cam. Actually, I am building that engine for someone and I am waiting on a cam suggestion from a cam grinder so we may end up with a custom grind.

As far as rings to use, I prefer the moly rings over the chrome rings but I will use chrome if that is all that is available. With the moly you can hone a lot finer and create a lot less heat while breaking in the engine.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com