[FC] 2010 Convention Car display

The Reinharts jtreinhart at omnitelcom.com
Sun Jan 3 14:42:56 EST 2010

All, It appears there is some questions as to why the Car display has been moved to Friday and separated from the Concours. There has been many discussions for and against the change. Here is the argument I presented to the CORSA Board to justify the change. It has been approved by the board. I hope this will clarify this issue for everyone. Please feel free to pass this around if you feel it will be beneficial to others.

All, I am writing this letter in response to information that has been provided to me in regards to CORSA's Car display policy. I have been informed that my decision to have the 2010 car display on Friday, separate from the Concours is in direct violation of car display policy. I take full responsibility for this mistake and would ask that you forgive my lack of knowledge in this matter.

I would also like to take this opportunity to ask for your support for a motion I would like to present to the CORSA board to suspend section 1.4 in the car display rules for the 2010 convention only.

Background: It had been mentioned to me, several times at the 2009 convention and many times since then, that CORSA needs to shorten the annual convention to three or four days. It has also been stated by others that CORSA needs to place the car show on the weekends so the public can be invited and exposed to the Corvair, to further the promotion of the car and our club. I feel these suggestions have merit.

Reasons for suspension of rule 1.4:

                My club, The Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts, have agreed to let our convention be used as a test mule for future conventions. I had suggested that we shorten the convention this year and have a Saturday end date, but realized there are policies that don't support these changes. Also our dates were already set in stone and could not be changed without confusion.  It was then brainstormed to change the format within the week to see if these changes would be readily accepted and could be applied to future conventions. Concours was left by itself on Tuesday, to make it more prestigious because the concours cars would be the only cars on the field. The economy run and rally were put on the same day to check the feasibility of same day events, and the possibility of shortening the convention one day in the future.  And car display was moved to the last day of the convention for the following reasons.

1.       To see if the car display could stand alone and possibly be held on a weekend at future conventions.

2.       To create a low stress day for participants, venders, and convention hosts

3.       To create a short last day so people can start home and get at least 6 hours of travel time.

4.       To create a sense of unity for a day. Bring everyone together for a low key, car show, picnic in the park, family sort of day. That is what CORSA is all about.

5.       Hopefully expose the Corvair to people outside the ranks of CORSA. This would obviously be more effective if held on a Saturday.

These are the top five reasons we would like to move the car display to Friday. I hope they will motivate you to consider the rules suspension for this year.

There is no guarantee these changes will be successful, but people are asking for change and we are trying to provide that change with thoughtful compromises.

Included in the convention registration packet will be a survey to get peoples responses to the changes. We will be able to use this information to hopefully improve on our basic concept and make the annual conventions even better.

Please feel free to ask me any questions. You can reach me at 563-547-5282 or by e-mail jtreinhart at omnitelcom.com.

Thank-you for your support

Jamie Reinhart

2010 Car display Chairman