[FC] Sound Deadening

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Thu Jan 21 09:25:35 EST 2010

 Keep in mind that the noise does not only come from the engine cover, that is a large portion, but the whole area lets in noise starting with the vertical from the floor to the shelf to the trans cover and the engine lid. Then there is the air inlet path that can sound like a megaphone for telegraphing noise to the side sheet metal that will sound like a drum.

With that said, you didn't tell us what you have now for any sound insulation, if any. I have driven my own van that I had put carpet in then made a couch, that folded out to a bed, over the engine with a couple of parts drawers under that. For a panel van it was pretty quiet where I could listen to the radio in comfort. I just worked on a van that had a double layer of carpet and backing on top with seats installed on the floor, it also was pretty quiet. That stuff you sent a link to seems pretty expensive for the amount you get.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com