[FC] Drain plug installation--64 FC manual transaxle

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 23 17:11:17 EST 2010

The '61s had factory drain plugs in transmission and differential.
They're installed facing each other on the projections at the bottom of
the case.  See a '61 shop manual for pictures.  I believe the plugs were
something like 3/4" pipe plugs.

That said, you don't have to do it the factory way.  I just drilled a
small hole in the bottom of the differential case.  I have a '64 case
with the (undrilled) transverse spring perch. The hole is about at the
exact center of the perch at the lowest point in the case.  The iron is
quite thin there.  I drilled it out and tapped it to the size of a small
button-head hardware-store screw (I forget what size).  It is sealed
with a washer of gasket material.

For the record, I drilled it with the diff in the vehicle after using a
sucker gun to get most of the fluid out.  I stuck a hard drive magnet
and a blob of grease on the drill and drilled cautiously to ensure that
any chips that got in would be flushed out by the little bit of fluid
left in the diff.  That was about 60,000 miles ago, so I think things
went OK.

There's no reason that you couldn't do something similar to a
transmission, particularly on the bottom of the stub where the drain
plug was on the '61 models.  I haven't done it to the trans because I
have more than a little paranoia about getting shavings or drill bits
into the wrong place in a small iron box full of gears.  The diff case,
by comparison, is mostly empty space with oil in it.

-Rad Davis