[FC] <VV> Drain plug installation--64 FC manual transaxle

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 24 14:51:51 EST 2010

Ken already covered this, but I'll reinforce it here - lubricant
technology, like paint and coating technology, is completely different
than it was in 1961.

Just as the stock paint job on a '61 Corvair could be expected to look
good for two years and protect the car for perhaps five, whereas a
current technology paint job will last the life of the car, which ,
incidentally, is a lot longer than the 70,000 - 120,000 miles the
Corvair was designed to last.

We still have to change engine oil because our (gasoline) engines use up
oil additives in their normal operation.  The only reason to change
trans/diff lubricants is because they pick up debris from the operation
of the gears that must be removed periodically.  'Lifetime' (200,000
mile) lubrication is quite possible if the surface finishes on the parts
are sufficiently fine and the chemistry of the materials sufficiently
passive at initial assembly.  Neither was the case in 1961.

As with most other mechanical things, gear trains seem to require
regular oil management during break in.  After they're done making swarf
during break in, you're essentially done with reasons to change the
fluid at a short interval.  Debris is still created by synchronizer
clutches in a manual gearbox, so they need a fluid change every 60,000
miles or so.  All of the data I can find for synthetic gear lubes
suggests that hypoid final drives should be OK for 100,000 - 500,000
miles after break-in is complete.  So if you run the cheap stuff, change
it every 50 K or so in both units and be happy.

If you're shearing gear oil down in this decade, it's because you are
using the wrong lubricant, particularly on something as gently loaded as
a Corvair transaxle attatched to a (non-turbo) Corvair engine.

- Rad Davis