[FC] Synthetic oil...serious tapping

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Sat Jul 10 00:20:30 EDT 2010

 I would dare say that the tapping was not directly caused by the 90% synthetic Mobil 1 oil. In any 10W-40 there is enough of the "zinc" to prevent wear of the camshaft and lifters. There was a very good article that Bob Helt did on oil. Everyone needs to re-read that article. It was a little technical and anyone that wants any explanation in different words, I would be happy to help.

What probably happened is there was a little sludge that got picked up and deposited inside the lifter area or the little extra slippery oil got in the threads and a nut backed off. I would look to see if I could determine which rocker is making noise and investigate. Check the rocker to make sure it is tight without doing any adjusting or loosening. IF everything seems normal that way, you may have a lifter plugged. If The rocker is loose then obviously you need to look into the cause.

There are a couple of things to think about, one; more than likely if something mechanical is wrong it was started well before you changed to the Mobil 1. Two, if you do find the cam or lifter worn the same thing applies.

As far as the simple rule for oil for our cars and FC's any oil that DOES NOT have the energy saving star burst is OK for our engines. Go to the store and compare a 10W-30 oil and a 10W-40 oil and you will see what I mean.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com