[FC] A Greenbrier Recruit

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 09:36:04 EDT 2010

>>On the more mechanical side of things, what's a
good first thing to start work on? I assume that
running some basic engine/transmission tests would
be smart and/or doing a thorough once-over of the
car to determine exactly what is missing, but
maybe there is something more basic.

A vehicle that doesn't drive is one thing....A vehicle that doesn't roll is completely different.

I'd concentrate on safety things first, specifically brakes, tires, steering, and suspension.  The order I listed is the order of importance.  Although they are all almost equally important I'd look over the brakes VERY CAREFULLY.  If the van has been sitting for any length of time at all I'd check all the brake lines and hoses and change out the fluid by bleed the entire system repeatedly.  I'd also check and repack the front wheel bearings and check the linings and drums as well.

Congratulations on your 'new' van!  Have fun with it!