[FC] Mikes dropped valve seat

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 10:14:12 EST 2010

 OK, IF you have NO money and are strapped for something to drive I just might agree with you on a lot of your points because I have done most of what was said below. That was 30 years ago and the parts were a little newer and you could still get low time semi virgin used parts. That is rare today. Not to long ago I put a used head on a on an engine and guess what? It proceeded to drop a valve seat! I had to do the job over and provide another head at my cost.

I don't know about taking the other head off myself but with the one head the one seat can be repaired for a little more than a used head and be guaranteed for the seat not to come out! Here is where I go a little farther and say replace all the seats and then put the worry of dropping valve seats behind you for that head.

And, Sorry, adjusting lifters running is like living in the dark ages. Any valve can be adjusted with the engine NOT running and NO mess, well, a couple of drops of oil.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com