[FC] Clutch c-h-a-t-t-e-r

Ben and Lynn Stiles lbstiles at verizon.net
Thu Nov 11 19:05:50 EST 2010

Hi Gang-

Several attempt by my local Corvair repair shop have not eradicated the
sometimes severe clutch chatter I experience with the '62 Brier. I am
"this close" to exchanging the sucker with a Powerglide that would make
it oh so nice to just jump in, put it in D, and drive away. As it is, I
feel I have to maneuver my feet on the clutch and accelerator
differently each time I pull out to even remotely gain a "smooth"
acceleration.

I was talking to my colleague/mechanic friend today who said he would be
annoyed, too. He asked about the motor mounts...perhaps they are worn
and stiffer ones might help the chatter? He asked if the cable has been
lubed? Would this help?

Also, he asked if the flywheel face had been "ground," not just
machined, to remove all "hot spots" and make for a smoother clutch
engagement.

Any comments from the experts out there? I have had several clutch jobs
done to both FCs over the years...this is the most frustrating the
process has ever been.

Trans mounts have already been replaced in an effort to help and the
welded angle iron and bolt brace to help with fore and aft powerplant
movement is in place and beefy. Any ideas before I go Powerglide??

Thanks!  Ben