[FC] <VV> NUMBERS QUESTIONS

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 17 17:05:57 EST 2010

It would be my opinion, if anybody cares, that after fifty years,
without proof, in a somewhat derelict and unwanted Corvair, it is a
happy coincidence that the engine number appears that it reasonably
"could" have been original equipment.  Easier in the FC's cause they
have that big hole for the dipstick, and if your replacement engine
doesn't have one, obviously it is a replacement.  But, if they replaced
it with a proper engine, out of another FC or wagon, I would say "proof"
is required (service records, precise history, oem build sheet, etc)
that it is the original, not just happy coincidence that it "could" be.

There are numerous websites with engine number decoding info, as well as
nearly every other Corvair publication, so what is all the fuss and
repeated posts about?  Am I missing something?

Bill Strickland