[FC] Disassembly continued

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Wed Nov 17 20:45:52 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/17/2010 8:31:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
harrysmith1957 at gmail.com writes:

http://picasaweb.google.com/HarrySmith1957/PhoneCo1963CorvairRampside#554069
1313457633666

i would pull the motor assembly by removing the 2 bolts on that
crossmember. yes someone welded it up , but if spacers are correct it should be  fine.
(check by alignment job after you are done with it)
the axles will come out of the backing plates. i would remove the yokes
(steering wheel puller works good , after removing the bolt and washer in the
center ) put the bolt back in the end of the axle without the washer then
use  the puller. might just as well check , rebuild axle bearings while its
apart  that far , new u joints also. clean it all up good and paint it with
por 15 or a  good rustoleum clear if you want stock look.
you are running into a few things that are not super correct , but will
work fine. hardest part is cleaning parts.  a good bench grinder with 2
different  wire wheels  (fine and coarse ) does most of my work ,  after soaking
in solvents and drying well. sometimes i resort to sand blasting  metal
parts , but not often. cheapest way around here if you do not have a  blaster ,
is to check with your local cemetery monument outfit , they usually  have
good equipment and will work for @$1.00 a minute (worth it , they are fast
and good at it)
example , 5 very rusty rally wheels cost me $60.00, and came out like  new.
hope this helps.
my project yesterday was to part out a 63 greenbrier...such fun rushing to
beat weather , on a car trailer in the side yard.
regards, tim colson   pictures soon!

www.cnycorvair.com