[FC] Gear Oil

J Corey jcorey at escapees.com
Wed Nov 24 23:27:41 EST 2010

Spilled some gear oil on the carpet of my (non-Corvair) trunk while hauling
the tranny out of my '62 Greenie.  Damn.  Wife told me not to use that car.
Double Damn.  I HATE it when she's right (most of the time).  I've tried to
get the oil spot (and related SMELL) out of the carpet.  Tried 2 kinds of
grease remover, followed by lots of water rinse, then sucking out the water
with a shop vac.  Could still feel  (and smell) the oil.  Then used mineral
spirits to dissolve the oil, followed by cleaner-degreasers, water and
suction.  Still smells. Also tried pressure  washing.  Still can smell the
oil.  My only solution is to replace the carpeting, buy my wife some
jewelry, and make dinner reservations.  How do you get rid of gear oil
residue?

BTW, with the carpet out the smell is gone.

J Corey

'62 Greenie

(plus 3 others!)