[FC] Gear Oil - odor removal

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Fri Nov 26 15:41:40 EST 2010

At 20:27 11/24/2010 -0800, J Corey wrote:

 >>snip<<

>Still can smell the oil.  My only solution is to replace the carpeting,
>buy my wife some
>jewelry, and make dinner reservations.  How do you get rid of gear oil
>residue?
>
>BTW, with the carpet out the smell is gone.

Before spending the $$ on a new carpet you might want to try a product
called Nil-Odor.  You can usually find it (or brand X equivalent) at pet
supply stores.  It pretty effectively neutralizes a lot of odors (e.g.
skunk, urine, ...) and might work for the sulphur based EP additives in
gear oil that give it that unique smell.

Dale Dewald
Hancock (the Great White UP), MI