[FC] Cutting rear coils

James Davis jld at wk.net
Thu Oct 28 15:33:10 EDT 2010

Well lowering the back and front as far as possible always help with
cornering (lowering the center of gravity) .  Cutting one coil off
lowers the rear about one inch giving zero camber.  The truck will have
as decided up in front tilt unless the front is also lowered.    If you
choose to lower the truck more or less than one full coil; then
partially collapsing the spring by heating is best.  Cutting the coils
or collapsing them always stiffens the springs giving a much stiffer
ride.  One coil is worth about 20% increase in stiffness and a like
decrease in total load carrying capacity.  .  ADDCO anti-roll bars work
fine if you change the ends as the stock supplied ends tend to bind
during spring travel.  Wide, sticky tires on wide rims will help more
than anything else.
Jim Davis