[FC] Front suspension differences

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 15:37:48 EDT 2010

Thanks everyone for answering my questions.  I've read about the parts
difference on both The FC Primer website and The Corvair SAE papers book
available from Clarks.  I'm having trouble finding any differences between
replacement parts for different years. I've checked with several local parts
stores and Clarks new and used catalogs and can see no difference in ball joints
or A-Arm bushings.  Tie rods all appear to be the same too execpt 1965 FC's.
In fact, I'm having a hard time finding any differences between early and late
FC's.  I thought maybe it was the crossmember or the A Arms but Clark's used
catalog lists them as all the same.  Glad to hear that someone else thinks
there's not much difference.

I'll try to compare the 64 parts to the 61 truck to see if I find anything else
different.

To clarify; I'm planning using a 64 crossmember and suspension in a 61 truck and
retaining the mystery shifter.  I have a 63 Corvan that is a floor shift model.
It shifts nicely and I like it.  However the Don Quixote in me wants to keep the
mystery shifter in the Rampside.  I thought about saving the A pillar rain
gutters but it looked like more trouble than it was worth.  I could make them
easier than trying to cut out those spot welds and saving them.  I plan on using
a steel door and frenching in a license plate recess much like the fiberglass 64
door.  The one I had was badly damaged.  Obviously my truck will not be stock
but a mild custom.

I did save the front grill block off plate from the 64.  I had read about them
before but never saw one until a week ago.  Looks like I just need to cut an
oval hole in the firewall for the lever to go thru.

I did manage to get 2 sets of deluxe windshield trim out of the deal.  I have
some 64 parts available if anyone is in need.  Off the top of my head a 64
steering box and column, a floor shifter, rear and side glass, a decent dark red
vinyl bench seat, and brake and clutch pedals.

I'll post a link to my photo sharing site soon with pics of my new ride.  Don't
laugh though...it is an Indiana truck.

Thanks
Andrew