[FC] proof of vehicle age in the uk

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 16:02:07 EDT 2010

What you describe is more commonly known as a "certificate of origin" in the
USA.  This is a document that the manufacturer provided the dealer and the
dealer provided to the first buyer to take to the motor vehicle department
(DMV) to register the car and issue license plates.  The DMV kept this
certificate and issued the owner a "title" which was the document that the
owner would give to the next owner to prove ownership so the new owner could
then register the car.  Not all of the 48 states issued titles back then,
and even today, where all 50 states now issue titles in exchange for a
Certificate of Ownership, issue a title for a vehicle that is more than 10
years old.  The only thing that I can think of is if you can find the
previous owner of the vehicle and ask him if he has a title for the vehicle.
As a last resort, you might try writing to the Chevrolet Division of General
Motors, and ask them if they can provide any sort of historical
documentation showing when the car was built and what dealership it was
originally shipped to.
Paul in CT