[FC] Air cleaner "snorkels" or lack thereof...

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 22:41:18 EDT 2010

I have a early 61 Rampside (3819 serial number, Engine date 1012.) On the air
cleaner crossover tube there is no snorkel or typical D shaped baffle.  I've
never seen one like this before.  It looks like a car crossover but without the
snorkel.  The inside of the hole is just like a car with the little air
splitter.  I can't find any places where spot welds would have been broken loose
to remove it.

You can see a picture here

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq190/whiskey_tango/61%20Rampside/?action=view&current=corvair151.jpg

Q:  Is this a very early production piece or a modified car piece?

Q: If so, when were those phased out for the later style with the D
shaped baffle?

Thanks!

Andrew Sego

p.s. The black truck in this photo album is the parts vehicle.  The blue one is
the keeper.