[FC] Fuel Pump(s)

Jim Corey jcorey at escapees.com
Mon Sep 27 16:06:32 EDT 2010

I'm going through electric fuel pumps on my 62 Greenie.  I'm on my fourth in
a year and a half.  My NAPA dealer puts up a closed sign when he sees me.
He's replaced 2 under warranty.  The pump is mounted on the frame rail,
about half way back on the driver's side.  After the second replacement, I
dropped the tank and cleaned it.  Blew out the fuel lines.  New hose from
tank to steel lines.  I put a fuel filter on the inlet side of the pump, as
well as a filter in the engine compartment before the carbs.  Thinking there
was if the pump is obstructed by crud, it might fail.  Pump is powered by a
separate dedicated circuit directly from the fuse block.  There is no oil
pressure cutoff switch.  I'm using Carter fuel pumps.

NAPA guys and I are trying to figure out what would cause a pump to fail:
running dry (NOT!  The pump quit while driving along;  gas in the tank.) ;
Low voltage (maybe, but not the case when I checked).   So what else?

J Corey