[FC] transaxle

B Brewer bbrewertx at verizon.net
Thu Apr 14 20:24:50 EDT 2011

Looking for ideas on transaxle removal. My '61 Rampy has received a diagnosis of badly worn bearing surfaces where the stub shafts exit the differential case. Replacing the bearings does not completely correct the problem. I have removed the engine/transaxle assy. many times on lates and twice on earlys,  but find it especially bothersome on these earlys with their byzantine shrouds. Has anyone tried removing the transaxle while at the same time leaving the engine inside the car? Is there room for this if I take the front crossmember out? Tim '61 Rampy 140 4 - speed

Don't do that, you will be asking for trouble. A "repair" shop used that method several years ago on my 63 Coupe. About a week later my clutch started slipping. I finally had the time and place to pull the drivetrain the right way. I found the input shaft seal was damaged and the sleeve the throwout bearing rides on was cracked. I replaced the seal and clutch disc, three years later the sleeve finally broke off. You must gut the diff to replace that.

B Brewer

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110414-2, 04/14/2011
Tested on: 4/14/2011 7:24:51 PM