[FC] Tool?

Mike Clark mclark67 at charter.net
Sun Apr 17 14:35:11 EDT 2011

Will, don't be embarrassed.  These screws mess with the best of 'em.

They are called clutch heads.  I've only seen them on Corvair FCs but I hear
they are common on most Chevy trucks of the day.  SnapOn has these as
sockets, and they are expensive.  I got a whole set at an auto show one
time, not the best of quality but they do stand up to a screw-knocker.  Hm,
I guess that would be pretty good quality.

Don't be fooled into thinking you just need the one size.  Take off the
headlight bezel and you'll see the headlight "pan" is held on by mini clutch
heads.

You can probably find these at NAPA or similar; I've yet to see them at
AutoZone or others.  I've also seen them as 1/4 in bits you put in a driver.

If you get them out and want to replace them, save the ones that aren't all
butchered up.  Some people actually like them, and they are tops for an
authentic restoration.

Mike Clark
61 Rampside
Stockbridge, Georgia