[FC] Removing stuck brake drums

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 18:23:53 EDT 2011

I'm trying to remove some rear drums that just won't budge.  This was a vehicle that was parted out.  I dropped the powertrain and rear suspension as a unit partially because of the locked up drums.  Once it was on the ground, I removed the bolts holding the A arm's to the suspension crossmember to separate the engine from the suspension.

Now I have a drum, axle, and lower A arm stuck together on my bench.  I'm looking for ideas to separate all this.  The parts I definitely want to save are the axles/bearings, and lower A arms.  The brake parts are fairly unimportant to me, and probably useless anyway.  I'd like the backing plates, and parking brake struts too if possible.  The rest is easily replaceable.

I think the drums are stuck to the shoes, as well as the drum center hole being rusted to the axle center. This was a 64 so it has self adjusters on the brakes.  The holes in the drums are not lined up with the adjuster wheels.

I've been thru this kind of thing before but this one is a bear.  I'm thinking I might take a 4" angle grinder and cut a path around the face of the brake drum.  Maybe if the center can break free on it's own I can get the axle out and then work the brakes loose.

Do any old pros have any tricks or advice?

Thanks,
Andrew