[FC] Limp van door outside handle

Ben's Bus bensbus at verizon.net
Fri Aug 5 10:28:53 EDT 2011

Hi Andrew-

I had that problem when I first bought my Greenbrier. My solution was to
hold the handle straight and drill down through it, the metal shaft from
the door, and through the bottom of the handle. I then put a SS machine
crew down through and finished it off with a nylock nut. Held up for years.

I have since replaced the whole works (my side door would release to the
"safety catch" position on the lower catch) because mine was too warn. I
used a 1980's Chevy Van side door mechanism- those which have a centered
latch and a post that sticks out from the second side door. Fit in
beautifully with a bit of creativity- I was even able to hook up the
original locking mechanism. I used a front door handle on the side door
and now I can lock the side door with a KEY from the outside! (And mine
is not a '61!!)

No more popping door- always tight- always secure. I love it!

Ben