[FC] Problem after installing High Volume Blower Motor

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 20:22:36 EST 2011

Update:
I finished my front suspension rebuild / lowering project so I came back to fix my blower motor problem.  Monday or Tuesday of this week the blower fan stopped working on all speeds.  I found the glass 30A inline fuse that powers the relay was blown.  Not only was it blown, but the fuse got hot enough to melt itself into the holder.  I ended up replacing the fuse and holder and also I switched out the Bosch style relay for the factory GM style relay that was recommended in the Tech Guide article by LC.  Result: Fan works properly on all speeds and leaving the fan in the high position does not affect the ignition when shutting down now.

I'm curious and concerned as to why the fuse blew.  I didn't notice exactly when the fan blew, although I did leave the fan on high Monday morning when I came to work.  Tuesday morning I had no blower fan. I can't remember if I used the heater Monday evening or not.  I hope the blown fuse is the result of the feedback problem and not something else.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. In the end I figured it was easier to switch relays than to find the proper diode.

-Andrew