[FC] '61 Rampside conversion EXPLAINED (dont do it)

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 06:34:43 EST 2011

64 65 rear mount is different! car mount will drive alignment guy  nuts
bringing things to spec. i have a picture of the correct mount , it looks  like
the flat one with a slight dish to it. it is hard to put a belt on with the
 older flat one. i have seen guys space a flat one out with washers , but
it does  not look like a good way to go.
see the picture included of the correct (rare) mount for a 164 motor in an
FC.

>   Do I need an FC rear engine
>mount or a early  car mount or something else?

The rear mount from the '64 car engine in  your Rampside may be exactly
what
you need, but it will have to be compared  to another known part to be
sure.  Other people on this list can  specifically answer this
question.  What you want in an early mount  (actually the stamped metal
bracket attached to the rear of the engine) with  enough offset to clear
the
harmonic balancer that should be fitted on the  110 engine.

>  What about the speedo-cable?

A '65 car  differential can be milled to accept the speedometer cable
drive.  I  have the plans and a fixture for doing this because I wanted to
make a  correct replacement differential for the one in our '65
Greenbrier.   This modification requires complete disassembly and
rebuilding
you must use early side bearing adjuster sleeves and early pinion  shaft!
late differentials had a different carrier (nubs stuck out further  , so
sleeves were out over 1/4 inch towards axles. the pictures of my attempts  to
do this years back may still be available on the web , or this computer with
a lot of searching.
of the differential. and changing the  pinion shaft to get the speedo gear
teeth on it. you also  have to have early guts complete.not worth the
effort.

>   Would it be easier if i just located another  early
>trans-axle?  YES!!!!

Make sure  to also get a FC 4-speed front
crossmember bracket; it is different than the  3-speed bracket.

BOTTOM LINE: there is a lot more to this than meets the  eye , unless you
have actually done it!
i did it on 2 vehicles at the same time for several hunderd miles of
problems.
regards, Tim Colson
Corvanatics mailing  list
Corvanatics at corvair.org