[FC] Locating VIN

Kevin Clark kgc66@sbcglobal.net kgc66 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 23 11:31:36 EST 2011

Open your drivers side door and it's right there on the door jamb
about 8" above the door latch mechanism.

After I bought my Corvan in November 2005, I took it to a BMV to get
it registered. The BMV had to visually confirm the VIN on the van
with the VIN on the title. The registrar was looking for the VIN on
the dash through the windshield and I couldn't find it anywhere. I
felt stupid not knowing where to look. She okayed my registration
anyway taking my word for it and I thought she used the VIN from the
title. I found the VIN later that day. Thankfully they matched. It
was painted over and I didn't bother going back and let them confirm
the numbers.

Then last month I noticed my registration form had my old VIN from my
Monza I sold at the same time I bought the van. I went to BMV to
correct the mistake which they did and they never visually confirm
the VIN on my van. This was an honest mistake. Now I'm wonder it it's
possible to register a vehicle that lost a title with a different
title in Ohio. The lesson I learned is when you buy a car, always
double check the title and VIN.

KC