[FC] FC False Alarm Idiot Light

Kevin Clark kevin@kcvairbrush.com kevin at kcvairbrush.com
Sun Jul 10 23:43:51 EDT 2011

Has anyone had a false alarm with the idiot light coming on for no
reason?

I was already on the road for 35 miles when my oil pressure and gen
light came on in my FC. After pulling over I found the fan belt was
still on and I had oil right up to the full line. I started the
engine and it seems to be fine and I turn it around to head home.
After about five miles I decided to turn around again and head to the
Corvair show thinking there is nothing wrong. As I approached the
exact same spot when I first saw the lights on, I watched and the oil
pressure light came on again. I pulled over again, everything checked
out fine and I drove it back home without any problem and the idiot
light never came back on. They both still come on normally when I
turn the key on to start the engine.

I have an internally regulated alternator on the 64 truck engine and
checked the voltage and its fine. Once in a while the idler pulley
whine when cold starting and I doubt that would have caused a false
alarm, would it? I replaced the oil pressure switch for good measure.
I did change the oil a week earlier. I have deep finned oil pan but
have been one quart low before without any problem. I installed the
lower heat shroud last week, could they have anything to do with it?
Is there anything else I should check?

I'm looking forward to driving to the Van National next week and I
would not have time to install an oil pressure gauge.
Kevin

Kevin G. Clark
kevin at kcvairbrush.com
www.kcvairbrush.com