[FC] Timing Mark on Block

Kevin Clark kevin@kcvairbrush.com kevin at kcvairbrush.com
Tue Jun 7 00:25:59 EDT 2011

I have a 1964 95HP motor with 4 speed in my Corvan. I just had a
correct distributor put in while at a Corvair show/swap meet last
weekend. The distributor being replace was for a 110 and the vacuum
advance was not working right. Anyway we had to set the timing by ear
because the timing light quite working. I drove it home 133 miles
without any problem. As a matter of fact it drove much better but I
kept the speed to a minimum because I wanted to make sure the timing
is correct. So today I bought a timing light and I discovered there
aren't any numbers on the housing. I think there are four or five
raised lines on the surface. Can anyone tell me what number should be
on each line? Is it 0,2,4,6 or 2,4,6,8? While I was at it checking
the timing, I was surprised the zero degree mark on the harmonic
balancer was about 1/8" past the drop off on the right side edge
indicating too much advance, maybe 10 or 12 degrees. Advance is too
far clockwise right? I was told it should be set between 6-8 degrees.
Yes, I looked it up in my old Technical Guide and no, I do not have a
shop manual and I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not
purchasing a shop manual at any of the swap meets.
KC

Kevin G. Clark
kevin at kcvairbrush.com
www.kcvairbrush.com