[FC] Sloppy steering

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Tue Jun 14 10:08:53 EDT 2011

 What Tim means is that an overly tight or seized part can make the steering feel like there is play in the system.

I have had ball joints and idler arm that were seized and you had to turn a fair amount before anything happened and then the steering would sort of snap in the direction you were turning.

If everything is smooth operating with the front off the ground then that is probably not the case.

I recall no nylon bushing in the relay rod on an FC. It should be a tapered fitting end going into the relay rod and the boomerang should be a sealed or greaseable tie rod end type joint.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com