[FC] 1961 4 speed

Patrick Skiver pnsskiver at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 15 14:18:08 EDT 2011

Thank you all for the very fast response already received.
First , I am in Cleveland, Ohio. I have had the 61 scence 2004 when I bought it from Sacramento,Cali. A very dry area van and it is a fully optioned 8 door Greenbrier. We were caught in a tornado coming home and damaged the van. Mostly the shift rod and the trans shift rod broke clean at the pin. I bought the 64 as parts van to fix the damage on the 61. They are sitting back to back and that shows the many differences of the two 4 speeds. The mounts and I thought a simple swithch too the 64 shifter would be a quick cut and swap. OK! Not too easy!
I contacted the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg and they have a 61 shift rod and they can bench build my 61` trans in a day. It's a long drive to Gettysburg but it would be less time than swapping the shifters. Both trans are the original to the vans. And the 61 has the large drain plug. CRanch said the small drain plug (9/16th) is the rare stump puller trans.
I plan to take my van to the Goodguys Rod and Custom show in Columbus,Ohio in July,9 10th and 11th.. I met one of our friends here on the Corvanatics List there,John Jackson,of Non Stock Photography.
And the Boo Hoo part of the story. I suffered a health issue that made my retina detach. So this is my bucket list return to working on my Corvair. I can't  cut and mig in the swapped parts like I could in the past. I can remove and replace parts but engineering a re-fit are out!And the van deserves to be kept stock because of its origional condition.
Any one need 64 Van parts? I sent an e-mail to Eddie Egler already,but he never returned an email.