[FC] Got a Rampside? You might

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 11 01:54:27 EST 2011

like this.

Pasted is the text from a sign that I place on the windshield (laminated) of
my Rampy whenever I show it.  I thought others might like it and wish to do
something similar.  I'm not claiming any copyrights.

PASTE:

Chevrolet - Corvair - 1961 Rampside:  YES, it was factory built that way!

Corvairs vehicles (cars) started with the 1960 model year, first sold in
October of 1959.  The early cars were 4 doors, with 2 speed Power Glide
transmissions.  The shift lever was located on the dash and there was no P
(Park) position.  You had to actually use the parking brake in the '60s.

All Corvairs are 6 cylinder, air cooled, rear mounted engines - even the
trucks.  The early cars were 80 HP.  By 1965 you could get a 180 HP turbo
charged version.

The Corvair series of vehicles essentially came into being because Chevy
wanted a domestically built compact car to compete with the growing
popularity of the 4 cylinder, rear engine VW line of vehicles.  VW also had
a number of truck styles.

The Corvair trucks started with the 1961 model year and are referred to as
FCs - for Forward Control.  The driver sits atop the front wheels and
steering linkage is essentially directly under his/her feet.

Rampside is only one of many truck versions of Corvair built in the early
'60s.  The last year for all but one of the Corvair FCs  was 1964.  The
Greenbrier (window van) ended in 1965.  Chrysler claims to have "invented"
the first US mini-van?

Most (possibly all?) Rampsides were built in St. Louis, MO.  There was also
a "Loadside" model - essentially the same truck, but without the ramp.
Loadside was not a big seller, probably because the tailgate was so high in
relation to the ground.  While Rampside Corvairs are rare, Loadsides are
even more so.

Production figures for Rampside:

1961 - 10,787

1962 -   4,102

1963 -   2,046

1964 -       851

Total - 17,786

Total Loadside production (1961 and 1962) = 2,844

Total Corvairs produced (cars + FCs) =  1.8 million from late 1959 to May
1969.

J. R. Read - Glen Ellyn, IL

END PASTE

Have a great "cruise" season!