[FC] Powerglide Question (I think)

Scott & Cyndi Wilson scwilson8126 at wowway.com
Sun Mar 20 14:55:23 EDT 2011

Hello All;

My '63 Monza w/Powerglide vibrates at idle when stopped at a light with my foot on the brake.  I have checked to make sure that the idle RPM's are not too high when in drive.
I spoke with a Corvair tech person who told me it is probably a failing torque converter and that it should be replaced because the vibrating will get worse, although it will not damage the engine.

Is there a way I can tell if it is the torque converter before I go to the trouble of replacing it?

Also, I have a torque converter in my garage.  Is there a way to determine if that one is OK?

Thanks,

Scott Wilson
'63 Monza Convert.
'63 Rampside