[FC] head gkts

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Thu Mar 31 06:24:07 EDT 2011

As always there is never a single defining answer to a question. It all depends on what you are trying to do with the engine. As far as copper vs. stock steel; with the copper you do have more choices of thickness but I have found in my personal experience that the copper ones will tend to burn long before the steel ones do. My race car was not street use but I did use copper gaskets on a couple of engines and when I took it apart there was evidence of hot spots and even leakage past the gasket. On all the engines that I used the steel gaskets on there never was any evidence of leakage, even when the engine was overheated.

This may go against all proper thought but if you want to get rid of spark knock or at least slow it down take .030" off the gasket surface and use the stock steel or .032" gaskets. This will give a better quench area and deter any spark knock, even though it raises the compression.

The reason I say take off .030" on the gasket surface is, if you take any more off you will have to mill the face of the head also because of the cylinder shoulder interfering on that surface.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com