[FC] Was & is FC work trucks

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Wed May 18 16:01:14 EDT 2011

Chuck, almost a perfect score -- go to the head of the class.

You BBRT wrote:
> A stock work truck (vice a Greenbriar Deluxe) could be ordered with chrome
> bumpers and with guards as an option, four speed trans, and I think the PG
> was an option for work versions as well as for non-commerical sales.
> Remember back then, there were large fleet sales of trucks where whatever
> was available was available for optioning,  and special trucks were made
> with one side panel and one side had a window. Some side door widows did not
> roll down, I believe.
100% right.  A "Corvan" could be ordered with windows the were identical
to Greenbrier windows, except that they did not roll down.  These
windows could be on the full van, so that it looked just like a
Greenbrier, or just on the right-hand side (the Ma Bell configuration)
or in just about any other confirguration.

> A plain jane FC had painted bumpers and painted hub caps, not full wheel
> covers, black wall tires, single color interior,&  bench seat I believe.

At some point the single driver's seat became standard and the bench
became the option.  '63 I think.  Of course, the companion folding
passenger seat was also an option.

> Radio, two-spd windshield wipers&  washer, sun visors, were all options. I
> believe both the regular dome light and the rear dome light were options.

The regular dome light was standard and I believe that the rear dome
lamp was not available in Corvans -- but here I am not certain.

> Gasoline htr was an option in early years. There was a panel like a fornt
> belly pan which was an option in early  years.

The front "belly pan" was not an option, but rather it appeared for 1964
and 1965 as standard, to prevent ice and slush buildup.

> 64&65 had hte rubber/plastic flap behind the grill opening, actuated by a
> handle on th upper portion of the floor board. Thi is a nice option where it
> is chilly. Really cuts down the drafts.

Not an option but standard beginning in 1964 and yes, a nice feature!

--Bob