[FC] Problem after installing High Volume Blower Motor

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 18:10:07 EDT 2011

>>Another thought - does the blower also stay running?  I didn't see the answer for that.

>>Joel McGregor

Yes, I believe the blower stays running.  I say believe because I think it did, but thinking about it now I don;t think I checked for sure.  When I wired the diode protected relay I hooked the 85 terminal to ground and the 86 to power.  AFAIK, this is the correct polarity, or what-have-you.  I did hook it up the other way afterwards, but this was after it already blew the dash fuse.

A couple of times it seems like the engine ran on for a few seconds and then started to stumble then it died.  Other times it kept on trucking, until I turned off the blower.  The blower is a new VDO brand unit, and its for a 60-70's AC GM car.  I followed the CORSA Tech Guide instructions exactly, EXCEPT that I used a universal continuous duty 30 amp relay, and not the GM AC car blower fan relay.

I have not messed with it again since last Thursday since I started to swap in a rebuilt front suspension for the original one.  I will be revisiting this blower project once I get this all buttoned up.  Dropped the suspension Saturday, Cleaned eveything up underneath Sunday.  Got the crossmember assembly installed Monday. Swapping over the brake parts and bolting on all the steering stuff this evening.  Still waiting on getting my fuel tank back from being boiled out.

There are a few pictures of the front suspsension project progress in the following link.

http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq190/whiskey_tango/?action=view&current=frontsuspension004.jpg

I do appreciate all the help and advice on the blower motor problem.  I'll be either be using a true blower fan relay, or I'll add the diode as was suggested more than once. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

-Andrew