[FC] Door latches

Mike Clark mclark67 at charter.net
Sun Oct 9 16:06:08 EDT 2011

Thanks to all who wrote with advice on my door latches.  After taking the
little inside panel off I can see that my spring is not broke, and the
mechanism is dry, thus the wheel not moving and the door not latching.

More questions.  After taking the three screws out of the side of the door,
how does one get the latch off the door?  There is a bar that runs from the
door handle to the latch that seems to have a rivet in it.  Short of ripping
and tearing, how does it all come apart?

Also, I tried adjusting everything.  There is no adjustment.  The striker on
the cab does not adjust.  The latch on the door does not adjust.  I didn't
try to take the hinges apart, though it's apparent the door is still
originally installed.

Is there another spring that sits inside the wheel?  There are two teeth on
the wheel, and I can reposition them while holding in the button.  It seems
to have a lot of play.  After fiddling with it a little, I'm back to the
point where the door latches at the first tooth, but will not latch
completely.

What am I missing here?

Thanks again.

Mike